Bogie Plate Washers

Bob Hayes <bob.hayes@...>

Hello All,

A few years ago some people where experimenting with “washers” between the bogie plate and the train base. I think Tom C. Was using felt and Gene found some plastic ones somewhere. The goal is to allow the bogie plate to turn easily to minimize the slow down when a train goes around curves.

Has anyone tried anything else? Lubrication? What has been the result?

Thanks.
Bob

Gene N.

Bob, I wasn't the one to find them.  I can't recall who it was, but they gave me some to try.  Maybe Lloyd?

On Wednesday, March 31, 2021, 02:25:12 PM EDT, Bob Hayes <bob.hayes@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello All,

A few years ago some people where experimenting with “washers” between the bogie plate and the train base.  I think Tom C. Was using felt and Gene found some plastic ones somewhere.  The goal is to allow the bogie plate to turn easily to minimize the slow down when a train goes around curves.

Has anyone tried anything else?  Lubrication?  What has been the result?

Thanks.
Bob

tplgo08291993

I think Ed was the one with the plastic washers.
On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 14:25, Bob Hayes<bob.hayes@gmail.com> wrote: Hello All,

A few years ago some people where experimenting with “washers” between the bogie plate and the train base.  I think Tom C. Was using felt and Gene found some plastic ones somewhere.  The goal is to allow the bogie plate to turn easily to minimize the slow down when a train goes around curves.

Has anyone tried anything else?  Lubrication?  What has been the result?

Thanks.
Bob

Gene N.

Yes, you jangled my memory. It was Ed and I think they are teflon.

On Wednesday, March 31, 2021, 05:25:11 PM EDT, tplgo08291993 via groups.io <tplgo08291993=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I think Ed was the one with the plastic washers.
  On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 14:25, Bob Hayes<bob.hayes@gmail.com> wrote:  Hello All,

A few years ago some people where experimenting with “washers” between the bogie plate and the train base.  I think Tom C. Was using felt and Gene found some plastic ones somewhere.  The goal is to allow the bogie plate to turn easily to minimize the slow down when a train goes around curves.

Has anyone tried anything else?  Lubrication?  What has been the result?

Thanks.
Bob

Scott Bertaut

In my experience the wheels create far more friction and slowdown on the curves. I've started putting MasterPlumber Silicone Grease on the axles and the train cars practically glide around the track now!

Lloyd Rombold

I used some metal washers one time. It was to give me more space between the bogey in the bottom of the train car. The bogey was catching the bottom of the train car. I don’t know if it would help with the friction. I agree that the Teflon washer would probably be the best item to use.

Lloyd

On Mar 31, 2021, at 9:19 PM, Gene N. via groups.io <Gaofar=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

 Yes, you jangled my memory. It was Ed and I think they are teflon.

On Wednesday, March 31, 2021, 05:25:11 PM EDT, tplgo08291993 via groups.io <tplgo08291993=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I think Ed was the one with the plastic washers.
On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 14:25, Bob Hayes<bob.hayes@gmail.com> wrote: Hello All,

A few years ago some people where experimenting with “washers” between the bogie plate and the train base. I think Tom C. Was using felt and Gene found some plastic ones somewhere. The goal is to allow the bogie plate to turn easily to minimize the slow down when a train goes around curves.

Has anyone tried anything else? Lubrication? What has been the result?

Thanks.
Bob

Ed Kohl

Yes, someone in another LUG sent me some Teflon washers they were using on their train boogie plates. One of their members had acquired them at their place of work so they did not have any information about a possible seller of said items. From time to time I would research the internet for a supplier but had no luck. I had purchased a Digital Caliper last year and now that you are interested is these washers I just measured one and came up with 1/32" thick, 3/4" outside diameter and the center whole is 3/16" inside diameter. Using these washers definitely reduces the plastic dust that is generated on the bogie plate and if you add a small amount of lubricant the plastic ware is undetectable.

So look for Teflon washer 1/32" TH, 3/4"OD, 3/16" ID

Ed Kohl

I think Ed was the one with the plastic washers.
On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 14:25, Bob Hayes<bob.hayes@gmail.com> wrote: Hello All,

A few years ago some people where experimenting with “washers” between the bogie plate and the train base. I think Tom C. Was using felt and Gene found some plastic ones somewhere. The goal is to allow the bogie plate to turn easily to minimize the slow down when a train goes around curves.

Has anyone tried anything else? Lubrication? What has been the result?

Thanks.
Bob

Thanks Ed, Tony, Gene, Lloyd and Scott,

ABS dust is the problem. Some of my trains have run a lot and there is a lot of dust between the bogie and the train base (see attachments). This really make is much harder for the bogie to turn. I looked only for PTFE (teflon) washers and only found small ones. I bought some nylon washers at my local hardware store for testing. Nylon is not a slick as PTFE nut is seemed to work good. A small one, about 0.5" in diameter cost $0.29 each and a big one that was 1.25" in diameter cost $0.89 each. The train care did rock sideways easily with the small one. I found some nylon washers on Amazon: 0.28" ID, 0.74" OD, 0.06" nominal thickness. They were cheaper at $0.12 each so I ordered them - will see how they work.

This whole bogie issue came up because I am finally making use of the little ball bearings I bought a few years ago. I am using a non-destructive (almost) method by Pepe Nietnagel - see https://www.flickr.com/photos/162569845@N05/49049266901/in/faves-18566644@N00/ - it works great.

Those are not the words I typed. Here, I hope, is the correct text:

ABS dust is the problem. Some of my trains have run a lot and there is a lot of dust between the bogie and the train base (see attachments). This really makes it much harder for the bogie to turn. I looked online for PTFE (teflon) washers and only found small ones. I bought some nylon washers at my local hardware store for testing. Nylon is not as slick as PTFE but it seemed to work good. A small one, about 0.5" in diameter, cost $0.29 each and a big one that was 1.25" in diameter cost $0.89 each. The train car did rock sideways easily with the small one. I found some nylon washers on Amazon: 0.28" ID, 0.74" OD, 0.06" nominal thickness. They were cheaper at $0.12 each so I ordered them - I will see how they work.

Ed Kohl

Today I found teflon washers that have a 3/16” ID and OD is 1/2” with the thickest one being about 1/48” which is just slightly thinner then 1/32”. They are a bit pricey at $.53 each but there is a quantity discount.
Here is the link to these washers:
https://usaknifemaker.com/washer-teflon-3-16-id.html

Ed

On Apr 1, 2021, at 12:52 PM, Bob Hayes via groups.io <bobhayes1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]